Code of Conduct for Priestnall School Governing Body
This code sets out the expectations on and commitment required from school governors in order for the governing body to properly carry out its work within the school and the community.
The governing body has the following core strategic functions:
- Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for the school
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the headteacher
- Monitoring progress towards targets
- Performance managing the headteacher
- Engaging with stake holders
- Contributing to school self evaluation
Ensuring financial probity, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the organisation are managed
As individuals on the body we agree to the following:
Role & Responsibilities
- We understand the purpose of the body and the role of the headteacher.
- We accept that we have no legal authority to act individually, except when the body has given us delegated authority to do so, and therefore we will only speak on behalf of the governing body when we have been specifically authorised to do so.
- We accept collective responsibility for all decisions made by the body or its delegated agents. This means that we will not speak against majority decisions outside the governing body meeting.
- We have a duty to act fairly and without prejudice, and in so far as we have responsibility for staff, we will fulfil all that is expected of a good employer.
- We will encourage o pen government and will act appropriately.
- We will consider carefully how our decisions may affect the community and other schools.
- We will always be mindful of our responsibility to maintain and develop the ethos and reputation of our school. Our actions within the school and the local community will reflect this.
- In making or responding to criticism or complaints affecting the school we will follow the procedures established by the governing body.
- We will actively support and challenge the headteacher.